Tuesday, January 21, 2014

January Tidbits

I have been having a great time at weekly music jam and board gaming sessions hosted by a good friend of mine. We started out playing ukuleles together, but now, she has the itch to play guitar, and is loving her lessons. (Her eight year old daughter recently brought out her own pink uke and asked, somewhat wistfully, "When will we play ukuleles again?") Meanwhile, Bede revealed at the New Year's music camp we all attended that he'd always wanted to play banjo. After getting a couple of demonstrations from some clawhammer-style banjo players at camp, Bede rented a 5-string banjo, and has been plucking out "When the Saints Go Marching In" and "Jesse James." He sounds good, and I suspect that his four months of playing ukulele was key to awakening his inner musician.

Tidbit 1:
Eric Herman has his first new video in three years! The song is How Big, and has a lovely outro that makes me a little sniffly. Lucia and I helped with that outro, which was fun to do. We did not travel to Eric's recording studio, but made as clean a recording as we could with our video camera.

Tidbit 2:
A friend of mine was intrigued by a writing journal called Just Between Us: A No-Stress, No-Rules Journal for Girls and Their Moms, and posted a link on Facebook. Lucia and I were both interested in trying it out, and so I ordered a copy. Since we started writing in it, we have learned things about each other and seem to have developed new listening skills with each other. When we write out something out that has been on our mind, the clutter of the obligations of the day (homework, tidying up, etc.) momentarily ceases. We still have our parent-daughter pulls-and-tugs, but we're talking and listening to each other, and are enjoying each other's company. I hope we can continue this kind of communication through the teen years. We Shall See.

Tidbit 3:
I have a but few dolls in the shop as of late, but they are all new for 2014 (though the salamander doll was previously a Halloween-themed witch). I decided to start with smaller dolls like the heart cradle babies for Valentine's Day. Speaking of Valentine's Day, my weekly music jam friend and I are working on co-hosting a "Take Back Valentine's Day" party. Really, it's just going to be our weekly music and board game gathering, but we're planning to pin felt hearts on our sleeves and openly declare that we are celebrating platonic friendship.
Heart Babies





7 comments:

Anamaria (bookstogether) said...

I like all the tidbits! But maybe my favorite is about the journal, because we started using it, too--we wrote a lot the first couple of months but have gotten out of the habit, and I'm grateful for the reminder to pick it back up! Also, I love Valentine's Day. Take it back!

Jess said...

I love the idea of a weekly jam and boardgame night!
I'm inspired.

tanita✿davis said...

The wee tiny dolls are cute - I would want to dress up an Altoids box to carry them in!

Saints and Spinners said...

Anamaria: That's great that you are using the journal, too! We had a lag when we were all sick, but are starting up again. My daughter is encouraging me to start drawing again,so I do little doodles and sketches with the entries sometime.

Jess: I'm so glad you're inspired. That weekly gathering was something I'd wanted for awhile, and had even tried to plan, but it came together rather fortuitously for my friend and me. She has a large house (seven people and two dogs live in it), and can accommodate visitors and their surfeit of instruments.

DigiFruitDrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DigiFruitDrew said...

I think it is amazing that you guys have a combined music jam/board game night! That sounds like awesome family fun. My wife and I have been looking for something to do with friends, and with the piano that just recently found its way into our living room, this might just be a possibility. I just kind of stumbled on here flipping through blogs for something to read, and now I'm glad I did. Also, anything family friendly you know of to do up there in Seattle? We get to the Emerald city every few months and would love to do more things with the kids.

My Art

Saints and Spinners said...

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for stopping by and commenting! I hope that your family will be able to have a good time with the piano and friends at gatherings. As far as family-friendly things to do in Seattle, there is the Pacific Science Center, numerous parks for play, Discovery Park for hikes, a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island, the new-ish ferris wheel, and more. Seattle's Child online and Red Tricycle online(the Seattle version) will have seasonal festivals and events listed, too.